How do I properly install and time the camshafts on an Isuzu 3.2L V6?
The AERA Technical Committee offers the following information on camshaft installation and timing procedure for Isuzu 1998-2000 3.2 and 3.5L DOHC V6 engines.
There are a number of steps you must follow to install and set the timing of these camshafts correctly. Timing from intake camshaft to idler, and idler to exhaust camshaft can be accomplished easily and quickly if you follow the steps listed below to install the camshafts into these cylinder heads.
1. Inspect idler gear retaining cover for wear. Make sure that the .039? (.990 mm) lubrication hole is open. Do not use liquid gasket materials on the retaining bolts; assemble dry. Always replace the O-ring, being sure to lubricate it prior to installation. Install right bank idler gear into the head and align the dowel pin to the mark on the cover. Torque the 6 mm cover bolts to 8 ft.lbs (10 Nm). Always use a new idler gear seal.
1. Using special tool, J-42686 (See Figure 2) pre-load the sub-gear so the teeth are aligned with the camshaft’s teeth. Then retain the sub-gear securely with a M5 bolt inserted from the backside of the camshaft gear assembly.
2. Before installing camshafts, pre-lube the cam lobes using suitable molybdenum assembly grease.
3. Install the odd bank cylinders 1 – 3 – 5 (passenger side) camshafts into cylinder head while aligning timing marks. The passenger side uses a single dot on both camshaft gears and must be aligned with their corresponding single dot on the idler gear. (See Figure 1)
4. Install the even bank cylinders 2 – 4 – 6 (driver’s side) camshafts into cylinder head while aligning timing marks. The driver’s side uses double dots on both camshaft gears and must be aligned with their corresponding single dot on the idler gear. (See Figure 2)
5. Also do not remove the 5 mm retaining bolt holding the sub-gear until the cam caps are installed and torqued. Place a small amount of RTV on the cylinder head where the cap contacts the head. Tighten the cam cap retaining bolts to 8 ft.lbs. (10 Nm).
Use caution when installing cam caps on the odd bank cylinders because the arrows will face the front of the cylinder head.
For information on receiving all of AERA’s regular monthly technical bulletins and other association services and benefits, call toll free 888-326-2372 or send an e-mail to [email protected]
Engine Builder Staff
Latest posts by Engine Builder Staff (see all)
- Chevrolet Camaro Wins Champion Spark Plug Daily Driver Contest - Aug 26, 2014
- Schumann Energy Recovery Oil Pump - Aug 20, 2014
- Milwaukee Torque Lock Gripped Locking Tools - Aug 20, 2014