This service bulletin provides information regarding valve timing inspection and service guidelines for Lexus vehicles equipped with 2GR-FE, 2GR-FSE, 3GR-FSE, and 4GR-FSE engines. See Figure 1.
1) Set the No. 1 cylinder to TDC/compression. See Figure 2.
A. Set the timing mark to 0° on the timing chain cover by rotating the crankshaft clockwise.
B. Verify the timing marks on the camshaft timing gears are in general alignment with the timing marks of the camshaft bearing cap (see chart).
Note: When the engine is correctly timed, the timing marks will NOT perfectly align. See Figure 3 and Figure 4.
If the timing marks appear vastly out of alignment, turn the crankshaft one revolution (360°) clockwise and note the position of the timing marks. See Figure 5 and Figure 6.
Component Removal Guidelines
1. If engine disassembly is required that involves removing the camshafts or timing gears, set the #1 cylinder to TDC compression, wipe away any oil, and mark the following items in relation to each other prior to disassembly:
• Timing gears
• Timing chain
• Timing chain #2
Note: This relationship MUST be maintained. The Intake gear is timed in relation to the crankshaft via the timing chain; the exhaust gear is timed in relation to the intake gear via the No. 2 timing chain.
2. If NEW camshaft timing gears or the #2 timing chain are being installed, the two yellow links on the # 2 timing chain can be used to ensure correct relationship between the intake timing gear and the exhaust timing gear. See Figure 7.
A. Align the paint mark on the timing chain with the intake gear timing mark (to ensure the intake gear is correctly timed to the crankshaft). See Figure 8.
B. Align the two yellow links on the #2 timing chain to the timing marks on the new camshaft gears (to ensure the exhaust gear is correctly timed to the intake gear).
Some or all of this information was provided by the AutomotiveParts Remanufacturers Association (APRA). For more information ontechnical bulletins available through APRA call 703-968-2772 or visit www.AutoBulletins.com.
Engine Builder Staff
Latest posts by Engine Builder Staff (see all)
- COMP Cam LSR Series Hydraulic Roller Camshafts - Mar 7, 2014
- Spectra Premium Automotive Intercoolers - Mar 7, 2014
- 2014 AVI Sanibel Training Conference Hits The Mark - Mar 7, 2014