1998-2002 Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette
1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird with 5.7L Engine (VIN G – RPO LS1)
1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
1999-2002 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
2002 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT with 4.8L, 5.3L or 6.0L Engine (VINs V, T, Z, N, U – RPOS LR4, LM7, L59, L09, L04)
Some customers may comment on a mild to severe engine ping (commonlyreferred to as spark knock), usually worse during acceleration, and/oran illuminated MIL. Upon investigation, the technician may find DTCP0332 set.
This condition may be the result of corrosion of the rear bank knock sensor due to water intrusion into the sensor cavity.
This condition is more apparent on vehicles in which customers frequently wash the engine compartment.
Replace the rear bank knock sensor (P/N 10456603) and build a dam(wall) around the sensor using RTV to divert water away from thesensor. Use the procedure and part number listed.
1. Remove the intake manifold. Refer to the Intake ManifoldReplacement procedure in the Engine Controls sub-section of theappropriate service manual.
2. Remove the wiring harness assembly from the knock sensor.
See Figure 1.
3. Remove the rear bank knock sensor.
See Figure 2.
4. Install the new rear bank knock sensor. Tighten the knock sensor to 15 ft.lb. (20 Nm).
5. Install the wiring harness assembly to the knock sensor.
6. Apply a bead of RTV silicone sealant approximately 9 mm (3/8”)wide and 6 mm (1/4”) high along the outside edge of the ridge on theengine block valley cover around the rear bank knock sensor. DO NOTform a complete circle. Leave the rear section open as shown in Figure 3.
7. From the underside of the intake manifold, completely remove the rear intake manifold seal (foam material).
8.Install the intake manifold. Refer to the Intake Manifold Replacementprocedure in the Engine Controls sub-section of the appropriate servicemanual.
–Technical service bulletin courtesy of Mitchell 1.
For more information on Mitchell 1 products and services, automotive professionals can log onto the company’s website at www.mitchell1.com.
Engine Builder Staff
Latest posts by Engine Builder Staff (see all)
- Holley Gen III HEMI EFI Harnesses - Jan 29, 2015
- Edelbrock E-Street Electronic Fuel Injection System - Jan 28, 2015
- Edelbrock Victor Jr. CNC Cylinder Heads for HEMI Engines - Jan 28, 2015