Federal-Mogul has introduced two next-generation Fel-Pro PermaTorque MLS head gaskets that help eliminate sealing concerns on the full range of Subaru 2.5L SOHC and DOHC “boxer” engines dating back to the 1996 model year.
The new MLS head gaskets combine Federal-Mogul’s aftermarket multi-layer-steel gasket technologies with a "LaserWeld" stopper layer design, developed in partnership with NASCAR Sprint Cup engine builders. Each gasket also includes a proprietary coating technology that accommodates a wide range of surface finishes encountered in the aftermarket repair environment.
Many of today’s more powerful yet lighter-weight engines present difficult sealing challenges for conventional head gaskets. In particular, increased casting motion between the head and block surfaces can quickly cause scrubbing and/or crushing damage to composite-style gaskets.
“Using a replacement composite style head gasket on these engines will very likely lead to repeat sealing failure,” said Jim Daigle, Fel-Pro product manager. “The only solution is to use a modern, high-quality MLS gasket engineered specifically for the repair environment. While the MLS gasket might cost more than a composite gasket, the overall cost will be much lower when compared to an expensive sealing failure.”
The new Fel-Pro PermaTorque MLS gaskets are available in complete head gasket sets for the following applications:
• 1999-2009 Subaru 2.5L SOHC (EJ251, EJ252 and EJ253) - Fel-Pro head set: #HS26170PT1
• 1996-1999 Subaru 2.5L DOHC (EJ25D) – Fel-Pro head set: #HS26167PT; HS26167PT-1; HS26167PT-2
• 2004-2009 Subaru 2.5L DOHC Turbo (EJ25T, EJ255 and EJ257) – Fel-Pro head set: #HS26259PT; HS26259PT-1
The LaserWeld stopper layer now featured in many Fel-Pro PermaTorque MLS head gaskets helps maximize combustion sealing by precisely controlling the compression of each gasket’s layers. This helps reduce head lift, prevent gasket damage and ensure a superior combustion seal over a broader range of operating conditions.
This information was provided by Fel-Pro
Engine Builder Staff
Latest posts by Engine Builder Staff (see all)
- Cleaning Out Crankshaft Sludge Traps - Mar 10, 2014
- Elgin Industries Receives 13th Consecutive JASPER Supplier Award - Mar 10, 2014
- Car Customizers Wanted for New Discovery Channel Show - Mar 10, 2014