Click on a thumbnail to see the full-size image
Revised cylinder head installation procedure for 1997-2002 GM 5.7L VIN G engines
Engine Builders: The AERA Technical Committee offers the following information on a revised cylinder head installation procedure for 1997-2002 GM 5.7L VIN G engines, Figure 1.
This revised procedure should be used any time the cylinder heads are being installed and supersedes information found in earlier
published service manuals. Previously published technical bulletin TB 1624 should be discarded because the information contained here is the most current.
Previously, it was acceptable to reuse the 8 mm head bolts. It is now recommended that all cylinder head bolts be replaced at the time of cylinder head installation. New 11 mm bolts come with a pre-applied sealer and lubricant and no other sealant should be used on them.
- Tighten new 11 mm bolts (1-10) in sequence to 22 ft.lbs. (30 Nm).
- Rotate those bolts (1-10) in sequence an additional 90° turn using a torque angle meter.
- Rotate only bolts 1-8 in sequence an additional 90° turn using a torque angle meter.
- Rotate remaining 11 mm bolts 9 and 10 in sequence an additional 50° turn using a torque angle meter.
- Apply a .200? (5 mm) bead of locking compound (GM p/n 12345382 or equivalent) to the new 8 mm bolt threads, and tighten bolts (11-15) in sequence to 22 ft.lbs. (30 Nm).
AERA is not aware of an aftermarket source for these bolts.
NOTE: Do not reuse either the 8 mm or 11 mm head bolts.
For information on receiving all of AERA's regular monthly technical bulletins and other association services and benefits, call toll free 888-326-2372 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.