Diesel of the Week is presented by
Engine Builder magazine has announced its inaugural Diesel of the Year winning engine – a 460 cid Super Stock Duramax – built by Tony Burkhard of Dirty Hooker Diesel in Harbor Beach, MI. Members of Dirty Hooker Diesel accepted the Diesel of the Year award at Engine Builder’s PRI Party, sponsored by Autolite, at Rock Bottom Brewery in Indianapolis on December 11.
The 2019 Diesel of the Year contest, stems from Engine Builder’s Diesel of the Week series, sponsored by AMSOIL INC. This series began in August as a way to showcase the increasing number of diesel performance engines being built. The Diesel of the Week profiles engine builders, their shops and a specific diesel engine build in detail.
Out of the diesel engines profiled in 2019, Engine Builder’s readers and social media audience selected a Top 10 diesel engines worthy of being crowned Diesel of the Year. The 2019 Top 10 diesels were:
- Super Stock 6.7L Cummins, built by Apex Diesel Performance
- 460 cid Super Stock Duramax, built by Dirty Hooker Diesel
- 6.7L Cummins, built by Armor Inc. Diesel & Suspension
- Pro Mod 7.1L Cummins, built by Done Right Diesel Performance
- 12-Valve Fummins, built by Integrity Diesel Performance
- 6.7L Ford Powerstroke, built by Outlaw Diesel Performance
- 7.3L Ford Powerstroke, built by Zeigler Diesel Performance
- 7.0L Cummins, built by DNR Customs
- 6.0L Powerstroke, built by Kill Devil Diesel
- 6.6L LBZ Duramax, built by Sin City Diesel & Off-Road
Those Top 10 diesels were pitted against one another in a one-week voting contest on Engine Builder’s website, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. After more than 800 votes, Dirty Hooker Diesel’s 460 cid Super Stock Duramax claimed the Diesel of the Year crown for 2019.
For more details on the winning diesel, click here. If you’re interested in being part of the 2020 Diesel of the Week series, please email editor Greg Jones at [email protected]