Motorsports pros Rick Jones, Kevin Lawrence, Dave River, and Jeff Wick have announced the rebirth of the Midwest Pro Stock Association (MPSA), a drag racing series formed by Jim Wick in the late 1980s. The series folded following the passing of Wick in 2002.
“A group of us were together at the World Series of Drag Racing at Cordova—which itself is an end-of-the-season match race—and we thought it would be a good deal to bring back match racing year-round like they used to. So I called [Jim’s son] Jeff Wick to see if we could use the MPSA name. He was on board and even wanted to help and compete, too,” Lawrence said to PRI. “Jeff will compete in the Matchmaker car they haven’t run since Jim’s passing.”
“Our main goal is to put on a good show for the fans and let people relive match racing as it used to be,” Lawrence continued. “Match racing is not as, let’s say, politically correct or sterile as other racing. It’s all about ‘let’s settle it on the track; the first guy to the finish line wins.’”
The series will visit five cities across seven race dates beginning in June.
2023 Midwest Pro Stock Association schedule (subject to change)
- June 10/ Central Illinois Dragway/ Havana, Illinois/ Spring Nostalgia Drags
- June 16–17/ Cordova Dragway/ Cordova, Illinois/ Summer Nationals
- July 8/ Eddyville Raceway Park/ Eddyville, Iowa/ Night of Fire
- July 29/ Cordova Dragway/ Cordova, Illinois/ Door Wars
- August 19/ US 41 Dragstrip/ Morocco, Indiana
- August 25–26/ Cordova, Illinois/ World Series of Drag Racing
- September 23/ Bunker Hill Dragstrip/ Bunker Hill, Indiana
For more information, visit the series’ Facebook page at facebook.com/MidwestProStockAssociation.