The following special tools are needed for this procedure:
1. Remove the valve cover.
2. Drain the fuel from the cylinder heads. Loosen the drain plugs, located at the rear of each cylinder head.
3. Remove the oil drain plugs.
4. Remove the bolt and the oil deflector from the fuel injector hold-down plate. NOTE: Rocker arm removed for clarity.
5. Remove the fuel injector outboard retaining bolts.
6. Using the Injector Remover, remove the fuel injector.
NOTE: When removing the fuel injectors, it is important that all three injector O-rings and the injector tip copper washer are removed from the injector bore. If the copper washer is not on the injector when removed from the cylinder head, make sure to remove it from the injector bore.
7. Place the fuel injector into the injector protective sleeve.
8. Place the injector and sleeve into the holding rack.
NOTE: If engine oil is found in the engine coolant or engine coolant is found in the combustion chambers the injector sleeves may need to be replaced.
9. If required, remove the cylinder heads from the engine. NOTE: To replace the fuel injector sleeves, the cylinder heads must be removed.
10. Insert the
injector sleeve tap and injector sleeve tap pilot into the cylinder head
fuel injector bore. Tighten injector sleeve tap 1-1/2 to 2 turns.
Attach the Impact Slide Hammer to the injector sleeve tap pilot, and
remove the fuel injector sleeve from the cylinder head fuel injector
bore. Discard the sleeve.
NOTE: Place a plastic cap or small piece of cork to act as a stop, in the injector sleeve before installing the injector sleeve tap, this will prevent damage to the cylinder head bore.
11. Remove sealant residue and all debris from the cylinder head fuel injector bore, using the injector sleeve brush.
1. Position the fuel
injector sleeve onto the Injector Sleeve Replacer. Apply Threadlock(R)
620 or equivalent to the fuel injector sleeve.
2. Position the
fuel injector sleeve into the cylinder head fuel injector bore. Seat the
fuel injector sleeve in the fuel injector bore, using a rubber mallet.
Remove Injector Sleeve Replacer tool from the cylinder head fuel
3. Clean the fuel
injector sleeve and bore, using the fuel injector sleeve brush. Remove
any sealant residue from the fuel injector bore.
4. Install new O-rings on the fuel injector. Lubricate the fuel injector and O-rings liberally with clean engine oil.
5. If required, install the cylinder heads.
6. Using the injector replacer, seat the fuel injector into the cylinder head fuel injector bore.
CAUTION: Remove all oil and fuel from the cylinders before installing the fuel injectors. Failure to do so can cause hydrostatic lock, resulting in severe engine damage. Do not strike the top of the fuel injector to seat the injector in the cylinder head fuel injector bore. Damage to the fuel injector will occur. Use hand pressure on the top of the fuel injector until the fuel injector hold-down plate is flush with the cylinder head.
7. Install the fuel injector outboard retaining bolts.
8. Install the oil deflector on the fuel injector hold-down plate.
9. Install the oil drain plugs.
10. Tighten the fuel drain plug located at the rear of each cylinder head.
11. Install the valve covers.