When working on Gen III and Gen IV Vortec 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L and6.2L V8 engines you should follow a new connecting rod bolt torquespecification. The rod bolts should continue to be tightened using twopasses.
The new specification calls for the second pass value to be increased from 75 to 85 degrees, following this procedure:
1. Tighten the connecting rod bolts a first pass to 15 ft.lbs. (20 Nm)
2. Tighten the connecting rod bolts a final pass to 85 degrees using the J 45059 Angle Meter.
Some or all of this information was provided by the AutomotiveParts Remanufacturers Association (APRA). For more information ontechnical bulletins available through APRA call 703-968-2772 or visit www.AutoBulletins.com.
Engine Builder Staff
Latest posts by Engine Builder Staff (see all)
- What’s on the Dyno? — Pro Car Associates - Sep 2, 2014
- MSD Pro-Billet Distributor For 392 HEMI Engines - Sep 2, 2014
- Melling Reintroduces Mell-Gear Timing Product Line - Sep 2, 2014