Engine Builder magazine has announced its annual Diesel of the Year winning engine for 2022 – a compound turbo 6.7L Cummins – built by Frank Davis of Sin City Diesel & Off-Road in Las Vegas. Members of Sin City Diesel accepted the Diesel of the Year award at Engine Builder’s PRI Party, sponsored by Autolite, at Tin Roof in Indianapolis on December 7.
The 2022 Diesel of the Year contest, stems from Engine Builder’s Diesel of the Week series, sponsored by AMSOIL INC. This series began in 2019 as a way to showcase the increasing number of diesel performance engines being built. Diesel of the Week profiles engine builders, their shops and a specific diesel engine build in detail.
Out of the more than 50 diesel engines profiled in 2022, Engine Builder’s readers and social media audience selected a Top 10 diesel engines worthy of being crowned Diesel of the Year. The 2022 Top 10 diesels were:
- Triple-Turbo 6.7L Cummins built by DNR Customs in Casco, MI
- Compound Turbo 5.9L Cummins built by Porky’s Diesel Performance in Port Deposit, MD
- Triple-Turbo 6.7L Cummins built by Unrivaled Diesel in Weatherford, TX
- 17.3L Compound Turbo CAT C15 built by Mario High Performance Diesel in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- Single-Turbo, All-Billet 6.7L Cummins Pro Mod built by Stainless Diesel & Wagler Competition Products in Middlebury, IN and Odon, IN, respectively
- Compound Turbo 6.7L Cummins bult by Sin City Diesel & Off-Road in Las Vegas, NV
- Turbocharged 460 cid Billet Aluminum Duramax built by Dirty Hooker Diesel in Harbor Beach, MI
- Twin-Turbo LML Duramax built by Hollyrock Customs & Wagler Competition Products in Hollywood, MD & Odon, IN, respectively
- Compound Turbo 6.7L Enforcer Cummins built by Zeigler Diesel Performance and D&J Precision Machine in Canton, OH & Cambridge, OH, respectively
- Mechanical Injected, 12-Valve, Triple Turbo 6.7L Cummins built by Warren County Diesel & Scheid Diesel in Franklin, OH & Terre Haute, IN, respectively
Those Top 10 diesels were pitted against one another in a two-week voting contest on Engine Builder’s website, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter channels. After counting the votes, Sin City Diesel & Off-Road’s compound turbocharged 6.7L Cummins engine claimed the Diesel of the Year crown for 2022, which includes bragging rights and a custom trophy built by Cold Hard Art.
For more details on the winning diesel, click here. If you’re interested in being part of the 2023 Diesel of the Week series, please email brand manager and content director Greg Jones at [email protected].